From: Hubert HOLIN (Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-01 17:03:05

Paris (U.E.), le 01/05/2002

        Uh?

                I DO monitor the list, in particular so as to respond to any query
about my contributions. It is true, however that for various reasons, I
tend to lag by a few days from the latest postings.

                Unresponsive strikes me as somewhap peculiar, as I believe I was for
the latest round of modifications (01/02/2002). Or perhaps three month
of stability makes a library stale?

                Not all the work that is being done around the library is necessarilly
plublicised (I am working on a link with PETE, for instance), I do not
believe that it makes the library "unmaintained". Some of it is pending
upon the work of others (such as the incorporation of SPIRIT, to
simplify the input operators, or the incorporation of a matrix library
to move some of the things currently in the examples to the library
proper), so there is nothing else to do there but wait (and perhaps help
the others in their efforts).

                At any rate, I was under the impression that the authors of library
were supposed to be their maintainers, unless they stated they could no
longer be considered such. I was not under the impression that more
formalism was needed there.

                Finally, I will look at the proposed patch, and incorporate what I
can, in conjunction with Fredrik Blomqvist, as I did before with Douglas
Gregor for GCC 2.95.3. Coopoeration is necessary as I do not have access
to the compiler the patches are for, and I do not want to break the
compatibility with the compiler I use. Note that I *WILL NOT*
incorporate patches that would encourage the use of broken compilers at
the expense of more conforming ones. I will, of course, strive to have
the maximum number of people happy (look for lots of #ifdefs). Tolerance
is a virtue, permisiveness is not.

        Bon soir

                        Hubert Holin
                        Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden]

I am not a mad scientist, I am a mad mathematician.