From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-02 18:30:41

> * symlinks etc
>
> Here things get muddy. The only way I know how to build shared libs
> in a reasonably portable way is to use libtool. I suspect someone
> with enough motivation could teach jam how to use libtool.
>
> I don't have the requisite motivation, so I just fiddled with jam so
> that it builds shared libs with the correct SONAME for linux. This
> hack isn't complete, as the filename is not correct, but I just rename
> it afterwards.
>
> With the following patch, I invoke
>
> jam .... -sSOVERSION=1.27

You shouldn't need to patch anything. Boost.Build provides two ways to
set the SO version:

1.
    jam -sBOOST_VERSION=1.27

    sets the SO version for all built targets

2. You can use the <dllversion> property

2a. same effect as #1
    jam -sBUILD="... <dllversion>1.27"

2b. set the dll version for a particular target in a jamfile:

    dll my_lib : my_lib.cpp : <dllversion>1.27 ;

> and end up with libboost_regex.so, which I then rename to
> libboost_regex.so.1.27. In the libdir, one ought to have
> the following files

I believe the above also handles the naming, though I'm not positive.

-Dave