From: Maxim Shemanarev (mcseem_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-06 11:22:08

> What I wish to see are pre-canned solutions for
> common platforms. These should not be adhoc solutions though
> because whether you like it or not, it will be used to guage the
> performance and capability of the framework. Without these drivers,
> it will be just a concept without a proof. Good ideas need good demos.
> If a library preaches cross-platform ability, it must be able to
demonstrate
> this straight out of the box without requiring passive onlookers to
> spend another week coding just to fill in the blanks because believe
> me, people won't bother, in particular, typical Joe who only wants to
> draw some nice polygons and text.

Completely agree. But as I said I don't have a possibility to actually test
it on different platforms. All I have is Win32 and GCC under Cygwin.
Besides, due to the lack of time (and experience with BOOST)
it's hard to me to invent platform independent graphic I/O concepts.
Actually, SDL seems to be good enough for demonstration purposes
and I will definitely try it.
But it's pure C and GPLed. What if we could think about a thin BOOST
wrapper for graphical I/O (and maybe even interactive I/O) purposes
that could use SDL or something of the kind as an underlying library?
What we need is a good concept. I alone cannot handle all of it, I need a
team :-).
VIGRA library (see http://lists.boost.org/MailArchives/boost/msg19905.php)
is the closest one in its file read/write part, although it also uses an
underlying
C jpeg library.

McSeem
http://www.antigrain.com