From: Chris Little (cslittle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-08 16:52:06

on 5/8/02 1:02 PM, Darin Adler at darin_at_[hidden] wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 09:19 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> Some names longer than 31 characters have crept into CVS:
>>
>> bind_tests_simple_function_references.cpp
>> const_associative_property_map.html
>> extending_return_type_traits.cpp
>> lambda_docs_as_a_single_file.html
>> operator_lambda_functor_base.hpp
>> phoenix_control_structures_test.cpp
>> pointer_holder_back_reference.hpp
>>
>> Is a 31 character maximum still important? IIRC, we did that as a courtesy
>> to Apple/Mac users. Do newer Mac OS's still have that limit?
>
> The limit is 255 Unicode characters is OS X. But there are still a lot of
> programmers working under OS 9. It's a tough call.
>
> -- Darin

It's not just working on OS 9, it's that the tools haven't been revised for
OS X.

For example, I'm using MacCVS Pro and it doesn't support long file names so
the file names are trucated when I get the files from CVS.

Also, CodeWarrior 7 doesn't support long files names.

Personally, I would prefer file names limited to 31 characters.

Chris