From: Giovanni Bavestrelli (giovanni_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-09 16:25:46

On November 27, 2000, I submitted "A class template for an N-dimensional generic resizable array" to boost (boost post number 6877, also published on the December 2000 issue of C/C++ Users Journal, http://www.cuj.com/articles/2000/0012/0012c/0012c.htm), and there was a lot of excellent feedback in the thread that followed. Unfortunately, I had just moved into a new (management L) job, and I dedicated a lot of my free (from work and children) time to learning about my new job, and none to coding. 18 months later, I was suffering a severe crisis due to lack of C++ coding, and I decided to get back to it. My first urge was to complete the multidimensional array for boost, and I started going back on the boost thread and implementing some of the ideas suggested. But after a few days of excitement, newly found passion and some late nights, I discovered that perhaps I am late. A multidimensional array has just been accepted into boost: Mutable MultiArray.

I downloaded the boost library but MultiArray is not yet there, and not finding the source code I do not know if it is similar or different from the one I submitted, but from a few posts I gathered that it is not resizable.

Is there still the need for a simple generic resizable N-dimensional array, or should I abandon the array, do something else, and learn not to put my passions aside for too long next time?

Any ideas?

Giovanni Bavestrelli