From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-12 12:55:53

Hi all,

When using boost::random for a generic eigenvalue library that
we are developing (http://www.comp-phys.org/software/ietl)
we realized an issue regarding copy constructors of
Boost random number generators in particular, and actually
all generators.

The definition of std::generate in the C++ standard:

template<class ForwardIterator, class Generator>
void generate(ForwardIterator first, ForwardIterator last,
Generator gen);

requires Generator to be copy-constructible. But what is
the semantics of the copy constructor? If we call
generate twice, do we get the same sequence or not:

std::vector<T> x(100);
std::vector<T> y(100);

std::generate(x.begin(),x.end(),gen);
std::generate(y.begin(),y.end(),gen);

Is x==y, or not? In the current boost::random this depends on the
generator:

i) if gen is a boost::random generator, such as
boost::lagged_fibonacci607
    we have x==y, since the generator is copied fully.

ii) if gen is a reference: boost::ref(gen), x!=y since we just copy