From: Maxim Shemanarev (mcseem_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-13 08:23:33

> > A canvas of, say, 64K x 64k pixels means great resolution and that
> > there's no strong necessity of using 8-bit subpixel accuracy, 4 bits
> > ot even less is quite enough. Besides, I'm not sure if Anti-Aliasing
> > is needed at all, because such resolution will exceed the abilities of
> > your eyes.
>
> You don't know on what surface it will be displayed. On a large format
> (e.g. custom maps), 64K x 64K will stretch pretty thin.

Correct. But the overflow will happen at about 8 million canvas size when
using 8 bit subpixel accuracy. Even having 64K x 64K is not real nowadays
and I don't think it'll be soon. It requires 16Gb of memory with 32bpp
format
and 32Gb with "high-end" 16bit-per-channel.

McSeem
http://www.antigrain.com