From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-16 15:17:40

From: "Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]>

> Draft #2 was tested on MSVC 6 and 7 and MINGW (gcc 2.95). It would be
desirable to
> test this other platforms. At this writing, this version has been
tested only on MSVC 7 and MinGW. I am hoping it can be tested on other
platforms.

Suggestion: anyone testing with outdated or nonconforming compilers like
gcc 2.95.x and MSVC7 can build and install a newer, more conforming version
of GCC. This would reduce the testing load on everyone else, because you'd
find more bugs.

1. Install Cygwin if you don't have it (www.cygwin.com)
2. Download the GCC 3.1 source distribution from
http://gcc.gnu.org/mirrors.html
3. Lauch cygwin and untar the archive
4. cd to the root directory of the GCC 3.1 source
5. ./configure --enable-languages=c,c++
6. make bootstrap (wait an hour or so :-()
7. make install

If you want to build mingw-style commercially-redistributable objects,
instructions are in www.boost.org/tools/build/gcc-nocygwin-tools.html

Regards,
Dave