From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-17 03:28:19

IIRC, the original Tichey(sp) RCS solved (or at least alleviated) some of
this and the "features" were removed when CVS was "put on top".
I believe there was a way to refer to both the "root" and the latest "head"
of any label...I'd have to go dig out the old Amiga RCS docs to verify
this.... this would get rid of the "peculiar" notion of having to anchor
the "root" of each branch AND have a "branch label".
further, the "state" was settable and/or useable as a filter on most of the
commands... i.e. you could refer to the latest "release" state on a branch
for checkout, checkin (would cause a new branch, of course, unless it was
also the "head"), merge, etc.
I sorely miss the state filtering on checkout.

At any rate, a solution would be to merge from the state "merged" though
"head" to the mainline and set the state of "head" to "merged". This would
could remove the necessity for "floating labels" as well. I suspect that
the state code is still in the RCS pieces which are used by CVS, but
there's currently no way to access the options since they are called
through the CVS "front end".