From: Pete Becker (petebecker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-17 11:40:37

At 11:25 AM 5/17/2002 -0500, William E. Kempf wrote:

>The problem is, as with auto_ptr, newbies
>don't understand the rules of move semantics so *they* are surprised. So,
>yes, I agree this is a major drawback to this solution

It's only a major drawback if it's important to make mult-threaded
programming easy for newbies. Given the current state of technology that's
an impossible task, and any threading package that suggests that it does
this (in particular, java.lang.Thread) does them a disservice.

Writing robust, fast multi-threaded applications requires expert design and
expert implementation oversight. The target audience for a threading
library should be experts, not newbies.

        -- Pete

Dinkumware, Ltd.
"Genuine Software"