From: Pete Becker (petebecker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-19 10:01:16

At 09:00 AM 5/19/2002 -0400, Eric D Crahen wrote:
>I just wanted to clarify a couple things from my last post that might
>have caused confusion.
>
> > T3: turn on power (T1 hasn't finished adding its lock,
> > and its already past the point where it would wait for the power
> > to turn off.)
>
>I'm going with the analogy of the worker looking at the power supply
>to see if there are locks on it or not.

The problem whit this analogy is that it's not really about serialization.
What the locks do is prevent anyone from turning the power on so long as
anyone is working on the wiring. That's a rather different problem from
serializing access to a shared resource.

Incidentally, the notion of passing the key off to a co-worker doesn't fly.
Nobody else has my key. That way I know that I'm safe as long as I've
locked my lock. If somebody else also need to lock out the power they use
their lock, not mine.

        -- Pete

Dinkumware, Ltd.
"Genuine Software"