From: William E. Kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-23 09:32:15

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Jones" <jdadson_at_[hidden]>
> Are there any plans to add semaphores to the boost threads library? Or
> are they already there and I missed them? How about timer events and
> such? Waiting on any of a list of events?

Semaphores were in the submission library, but were removed as "too
dangerous". See the rationale page.

That said, semaphores aren't strictly "missing forever". I plan to address
this at some point with more research into the pros/cons.

> Applications I write and maintain use semaphores to moderate
> inter-thread communication via shared FIFO's. Perhaps Boost has plans
> for implementing that higher level concept.

No plans for this today. I currently believe that such event queues are too
high level and beyond the scope of Boost.Threads (for one thing, they are
useful even with ST applications). I've tried to encourage a few others to
provide such a queue as a seperate Boost library submission, however, and
still think that's a very good idea for someone to take on.

Bill Kempf