From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-23 22:13:43

"Herve Bronnimann" <hbr_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 01:39:00AM +0200, Dietmar Kuehl wrote:
> Again, right. Red black trees from the SGI STL, with
> boost::fast_pool_allocator or with std::allocator, have a difference
> of less than 3% when constructed by repeated insertion. Before
> you see a real difference, you're already running against secondary
> memory...

I think the main value of small object allocators is in the memory
savings. Whereas, "naive allocations" might store an extra int
for the block size, the pool allocator can eliminate this cost by
storing same-sized blocks together. Of course, some clever
standard allocators could do this as well, but I don't know that
you're guaranteed it.

Dave