From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-29 20:50:16

Hi all,

We just uploaded the new version of the relational algebra library. Most
noticebly, the documentation, doc/rtl.htm, has been considerably enhanced.

The library is a light-weight, C++ specific, alternative to the traditional
SQL/ODBC approach, with the following major advantages:

1. The structure of tables is defined inside the program, which ensures
their consistency with the program code;

2. All interfacing is done in C++ rather than SQL, and strongly typed (no
void pointers). This allows to catch all wrong data types, table and column
names at compile time.

3. Any primitive type or user-defined class can serve as a column type. The
requirements to the column type are the same as to the type of an STL
container element.

The library implements the fillowing relational operations:

- selection,
- projection,
- cross-product,
- union,
- difference,
- intersection,
- groupby,
etc.

The template meta-programming technique was used to implement the library.

We appreciate any positive or negative feedback.

Thanks,

Arkadiy,
Dmitriy