From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-31 08:50:45

Darin Adler wrote:
[...]
> Once we found this out, Peter Dimov and others changed smart_ptr
> so that it doesn't use this header any more. They also made other
> improvements to the thread safety code to make it simpler and faster.
> The current version of Boost, 1.28.0, has this fixed.

Memory visibility (acquire-on-lock/release-on-unlock semantics) aside,
the 'lwm' stuff in CVS (the one full of sched_yield()/winapi::Sleep(0))
is BROKEN... unless, of course, ALL boost MT client applications are
meant for deployment on scheduling allocation domains of size ONE
(uniprocessors) ONLY... WITH FIFO/RR priority scheduling {POSIX realtime
option} among *ALL-EQUAL-PRTY* threads.

regards,
alexander.

P.S. "....Similarly, sched_yield() can be used to resolve some problems
      on a uniprocessor, though such problems can usually be solved more
      cleanly in other ways. Using sched_yield() will never solve a
problem
      (unless the problem statement is "the performance is too good") on
      multiprocessor, and you should never use it there."
--Butenhof_at_c.p.t