From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-03 13:23:47

At 01:52 PM 6/3/2002, David Abrahams wrote:

>From: "Christopher Sewell" <chrissewell_at_[hidden]>
>
>> I recently downloaded the boost_all.tar.gz file and tried to execute an
>> example program from the graph library documentation. (I'm including
the
>> code at the bottom of this message, but I don't think it is the
problem.)
>> am using gcc 3.1 in the console window with Red Hat, using the command
>>
>> gcc -I ~/boost_1_28_0/ bgl.cc
>>
>> I get the error:
>>
>> /tmp/ccIJ6fE7.o: In function
>`__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int,
>> int
>> )':
>
>Your gcc can't find its standard/runtime library. You may need a -L...
>option on the command-line. You can reproduce this problem in the small
>with a hello-world:
>
>#include <iostream>
>int main()
>{
> std::cout << "hello,world\n";
>}

On my (pre-3.1) system, "gcc hello.cpp" fails, while "g++ hello.cpp" works
fine. IIRC, I've chased my tail around in circles several times in the
past because I typed "gcc" when I should have typed "g++". That's probably
obvious to regular GCC users, but as an occasional user I find it a source
of confusion.

--Beman