From: Mac Murrett (mmurrett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-12 12:40:19

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 08:59 AM, Michael D. Crawford wrote:

> It even works on the classic mac os, which does not support
> preemptive threads.
[snip]
> The version of the code that is in CVS has pretty good support
> Carbon too, so
> you can have native executables for Mac OS X.

I would like to point out here that, contrary to popular believe,
the pre-X Mac OS *does* support preemptive threads. Boost Threads
runs preemptively on Mac OS 8.6 and 9.x (the "Classic" Mac OS), and
Mac OS X 10.1.x. The implementation uses MP Tasks, which have been
around in one form or another for over 5 years. Currently, the
only available build is for Carbon, but a non-Carbon version would
only require one class to be replaced, should there be demand for
such a thing.

Mac Murrett.