From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-19 13:56:33

Feel free to use the boost-sandbox for development of the interval
library. Let me know if you need CVS permissions for more people.

Cheers,
Jeremy

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Herve Bronnimann wrote:

hbr> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:07:25PM -0500, Dan'l Miller wrote:
hbr> > What is the status of the interval arithmetic library?
hbr>
hbr> It seems like lots of people need this interval library, me too.
hbr> I discussed with Jens a few months ago, and got permission to work on
hbr> it with the goal of a public review and final integration into boost.
hbr> As I am in academia, and not industry, I hired a student and a post-doc
hbr> working on it, and they're very good, so I expect there'll be a public
hbr> review by the end of the summer.
hbr>
hbr> To give you a little bit of inside information, the reason it wasn't
hbr> submitted was that there were many nitpicks, including faulty
hbr> transcendental functions (acos for one). This was due to the lack of
hbr> rounding mode guarantees at the level of acos and others (although all
hbr> the internal operations were done with the proper rounding mode). There
hbr> must have been many other reasons. Let me quote Jens on this:
hbr>
hbr> "First, I haven't had time for quite some time :-)
hbr>
hbr> Second, there are still a few areas where my library isn't
hbr> exactly ready. For example, it isn't exactly portable,
hbr> because e.g. IEEE does not give a precision for the
hbr> trig functions, so the "enclosing" characteristic for
hbr> the interval trig functions as presented in my library
hbr> is occasionally violated.
hbr>
hbr> I don't know of a good way to achieve this portably,
hbr> yet get some speed.
hbr>
hbr> Feel free to take over the library from me, put on some
hbr> final polish, read the boost submission guidelines, and
hbr> shepherd the library through formal review."
hbr>
hbr> > By the way, the http://www.rhein-main.de/people/jmaurer/interval.tar.gz link is broken at http://www.mscs.mu.edu/~georgec/IFAQ/maurer1.html
hbr>
hbr> That I have no control of. But I would relocate the FAQ into the
hbr> documentation of the library prior to public review, so this will be the
hbr> time to fix it.
hbr>
hbr> Best,
hbr> --