From: Matthew Hurd (matt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-25 19:25:16

Well, I'm at an investment bank and we use the smart pointer extensively.
It is used is mission critical applications exposed in Sydney, New York,
Hong Kong and Tokyo. Used with Intel C++ and MSVC 6.5 and stl port.

I suspect at least hundreds if not thousands of others would be in a similar
boat.

I also use the tokeniser for some CSV parsing. Have been using some loki
code and would like to covert to a boost implementation. Need to look at
mpl_v2 a little closer... but never enough time. Tend to lurk rather than
contribute as most of the code is beyond my simple head and I need to be a
user only for productivity so the family can stay fed. Not just the fear of
looking completely stupid because I'm not on the same edge... well maybe
mostly...

Also via my little software company... I have code based on GGCL (now BGL)
that one of my team wrote a few years ago that needs to be ported to BGL,
but I need to make the same extensions (recursive hierarchical nodes with
"ports").

Use ACE for threads, need to look at Boost's threads sometime to see if it a
candidate, but other ACE network patterns are being used so perhaps not
worth rocking the source boat.

Things I will be using over the next month:
    - a variant type of some sort
    - functor wrapping with some typelist parameterisation
    - vtl
    - some kind of mutli dimensional array wrapper
    - a datetime class
    - BGL
    - intensional functor wrappers (any ideas?)

Much of which will draw on boost wherever I can, reviewed or not.

We are looking at uBLA currently, having used MTL v2.X, and MTL v3 seems to
have faded. We have a bias to using Boost supported libraries mainly
because the code is excellent quality, code is peer reviewed, and the group
is so active. Quality and level of activity are key there. Subsequent
standardisation is not important to me. Portability is not too important to
my specific use but essential for quality reassurance.

I have introduced Boost to the other developers here and it is a fixture in
our CVS now. shared_ptr usage is part of our coding standards but little
else has been used so far mainly because most of modern generic programming
practices are not common here. Still a container only, occasional functor
line of generic thought.

Still, the door to boost is opening here and I would encourage you to adopt
and support its use so I am better supported ;-)

Thank you Boost people for your efforts.

Hope this is relevant and not too off track.

Regards,

matt.
-- in the trenches