From: Kostya Altukhov (kostya_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-29 06:31:15

Robert Ramey wrote:

> > 2. archive_exception should really be derived from std::exception
> >
>I considered this and saw no benefit to doing so. How would this be an improvement?

Very often my catch-block (for all exceptions) looks similar to this one:
catch(std::exception& ex)
{
    LogRed(ex.what());
}

I really do not want to have more than one catch block for reporting
errors, one for archive_exception, one for std::exception, one for something
else. Nor do I want to remember that some exceptions should be catched
in a different way.
Therefore, _all_ possible exceptions should be derived from std::exception
and provide meaningful result on what(). Note that you will not find any
exception in boost that violates these rules.

Best regards,
Kostya