From: Simon J. Julier (sjulier_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-30 21:56:04

A colleague of mine (Reinhold Behringer at RSC) drew my attention to the
fact that there is a problem with the Windows implementation of
xtime_get(.) because it uses GetSystemTimeAsFileTime. There are two
documented problems with this Win32 API function:

1. The Windows system timer runs between 10ms and 55ms, depending on the
version of Windows used
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/ti
me_5h2d.asp). Reinhold tells me that the value returned by
GetSystemTimeAsFileTime seems to update at the same rate.

2. "If GetSystemTimeAsFileTime() is called at the precise split second
during which the date changes from one day to the next (12:00:00.000 AM),
the API may return a value indicating 12:00 AM for the previous day."
(Synopsis from
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q224423). This bug
affects Windows 9x and Me.

Has anybody looked at these issues?