From: boost (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-01 16:46:50

Salut,

On Friday 28 June 2002 07:00, Joerg Walter wrote:
> > types. I think this is specified by the std but I seem to recall that
> > some compilers don't get it right. It might be safer to use value_type(0)
>
> It's one of the few things we currently trust in ;-), that value_type()
> works on every platform. If we'd get a bug report, we'd change.

I'd like to ask if this is confirmed by the standard since I will be using
ublas on several paltforms with agressive optimization flags
(like sse/mmx extension on ia32, -fastmath, .... )

BTW, I'd prefer to have an zero() function, that sets a matrix to zero,
instead of clear(). clear() should be used to free allocated memory.
For sparse matrice a zero() function could just call clear().

For a dense vector using std::vector I'm not sure, since it would disable
calling LaPack routine after clear(), since the memory will be free'd.

best wishes,
Peter