From: Lars Gullik Bjønnes (larsbj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-02 06:59:54

"David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_[hidden]> writes:

| Oh, please! Most of the developers are at least using some components from
| another boost library.

What has that got to do with responding to anything regarding the
libraries that are not "yours"?

>> In essence this mean that using boost.devel to report bugs is just a
>> waste of time, you always have to get in contact with the library
>> maintainer (which is most often one single person.) It would be a lot
>> better if the "hard-core" boosters also looked at other libraries and
>> helped to get obvious and easy patches committed without having to
>> rely on just the library maintainer.
>
| That actually happens from time-to-time.

Sure I have seen it happen... after second or third time posting of a
patch, or for problems that are larger and needs to be resolved there
and then.

| I could also say "it would be a lot better if the community at large was
| making a bigger contribution". We hard-cores are busy people.

I cannot do much more than send patches and test...

>> Note that I am not claiming that the patch in question is obvious or
>> correct... but when I post small snippets/patches to boost.devel the
>> usual response is utter silence... only when I start pestering people
>> and resending patches do I get a response.
>
| Bjorn is our maintenance wizard. Pestering people and keeping track of
| outstanding patches are his jobs, but he only recently took this project
| on, so perhaps you have not given him a chance yet?

I'll give him his chance.

>> Even if this sounds a bit negative, I am really grateful for the time
>> and effort the boosters put into this.
>
| Your gratefulness is appreciated, but I would much prefer you would ask
| yourself what you can do to make a difference. Perhaps you and Bjorn can
| find a way to reduce response times...

You mean apart from testing and using boost all the time and sending
patches when I discover I can fix a problem myself?
So IMHO I am already trying to make a difference.

| BTW, other projects use the (IMO lousy but perhaps better than nothing)
| SourceForge patch tracker; it's taken for granted that patches will be
| forgotten unless they're in the tracker.

Other projects or Boost?
(if boost... it has never been mentioned on this list before...)

Currently the number of maintence patches to boost libraries is very
low, so imho they are better handled on this list.

--
	Lgb