From: Joerg Walter (jhr.walter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-04 01:48:38

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Schmitteckert (boost)" <boost_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: ublas type safety and bound check

> Salut,
>
> On Tuesday 02 July 2002 21:20, Benedikt Weber wrote:
>
> > you would only need to compare indices. Or compile-time checks which
would
> > prevent you to assign a full matrix to a triangular one as I did in the
> > example.
>
> I like the feature that I can assign a full matrix to a more specialized,
> in my cas a hermitean matrix.

It's not a feature, it's a bug (if the full matrix isn't truly hermitian).

> Changing this would currently break my code.

This won't be changed, but the assignment will be checked in debug mode.

The recommended way to assign the lower or upper triangular part of another
matrix to a hermitian matrix is using a hermitean_adaptor:

hermitean_matrix = hermitean_adaptor<matrix, lower/upper>

Regards

Joerg

P.S.: Someone mentioned these days, that the correct spelling is hermitian.
This will be corrected soon.