From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-04 06:23:09

From: "David B. Held" <dheld_at_[hidden]>

> "David B. Held" <dheld_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > Is there a version of boost::is_empty<> that works with bcc?
>
> That was a really dumb question. Of course is_empty<> works for
> bcc. What I really want is a set of type_traits that traffics in
true_type
> and false_type instead of BOOST_STATIC_CONSTANTs. This is
> because bcc does not like bool template parameters much, and so
> it makes it almost impossible to use the type traits in any useful
> metaprogramming. It looks like a big chore to provide this
> implementation, since many of the type traits depend on each other.
> I was just wondering if anyone has tried to use them with bcc (for
> example, in a partial spec switch), and already made any workarounds.

FWIW I've often wanted the same thing for MSVC workarounds.

> Any advice is appreciated.

Well, the type_traits library really needs an overhaul and reorganization.
Some of the issues are detailed in these threads:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1166752
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1167704

If you wanted to take up the task, you might persuade John to let you add
some of these Borland/MSVC helper capabilities.

-Dave