From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-05 07:55:27

From: "Sam Partington" <Sam.Partington_at_[hidden]>

> I came across an interesting compiler bug recently with MSVC 6 SP5 and
> version 1.27 of boost:
[...]
> I have tested this with boost 1.28 and the compiler correctly rejects it,
so
> all is well. But my company is not able at this time to move on to 1.28,
> and I suspect others are in similar situations.
>
> Whilst this is clearly a compiler bug, it is such a serious bug (and
easily
> brought about during migration of an app from plain pointers to
> shared_ptr's) would it be possible for a warning in the documentation for
> users of MSVC 6 and boost 1.27?

Boost doesn't work that way; older releases are not maintained, including
the documentation. I can add such a warning in the CVS documentation now,
and release 1.29 will contain it, but you wouldn't use the 1.29
documentation with 1.27; there are too many changes.

If a wholesale upgrade to 1.28 is out of the question, perhaps you can try
to upgrade only your smart pointer related headers? Or you could patch
shared_ptr.hpp to #ifdef the templated assignment operator, as has been done
in 1.28; look for

#if !defined(BOOST_MSVC) || (BOOST_MSVC > 1200)