From: Greg Comeau (comeau_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-07 12:09:56

In article <011501c225cf$c5796340$6601a8c0_at_[hidden]>,
David Abrahams <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>From: "Greg Comeau" <comeau_at_[hidden]>
>> On this note, be careful with common_edg.hpp (although there is
>> not much in it) because probably many vendors toss __EDG_VERSION__
>> (I think I had done so very early on).
>
>That's horrible. It makes writing portable code incredibly difficult,
>because EDG workarounds then need to be re-discovered for each vendor.

Of course, there is no requirement that OEM vendors need to
follow what EDG did, and in fact there are many circumstances
where a vendor shouldn't. Of course, vendors should choose
their variances wisely (for instance, most if not all of ours
are only done in custom situations).

Anyway, I know in the past some vendors (I forget who, but it was
more than one at the time) refused to acknowledge they were EDG-based,
so I would imagine that they did something like remove __EDG_VERSION__

I suppose what's good is that at least the vendors you
have in your files do do it, and if not a #error will be triggered,
and boost setting __EDG_VERSION__ based upon some other value might
have to be done, if annoying the vendor doesn't work.

--
Greg Comeau       4.3.0 NEWS: New Windows Backends + 'export' IN July!
Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==>     http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout