From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-08 04:49:39

> 1. What are Jam targets?

Nodes in the build dependency DAG.

> How by looking on Jamfile I couldfind what are the
> valid targets?

No easy way, with a Boost.Build Jamfile. Boost.Build adds grist which
depends on the compiler and subvariant to main target names. The easiest
way might be to run bjam with -n -d+3 and watch the target names during the
dependency analysis phase. The description of the grist that gets added is
here: http://www.boost.org/tools/build/build_system.htm#target_names

> 2. How Jam find what needs to be done to update the command?

That question is totally unintelligible to me.

> 3. If rules are interpreted during parsing stage, how could they invoke
> actions that are interpreted during update stage?

The action parts of rules are attached to the dependency graph for later
execution during update when the corresponding rules are invoked during
execution.

> 4. Does targets are case-sensitive?

Yes.

> Cause Laura in presentation gives an
> example of actions Clean that is invoket liek jam clean.

I never looked at Laura's presentation.

> 5. Is there way to define an action but for internal use only, i.e. so
that
> user would not be able to invoke it?

Use a funky name they'd never think of.

> 6. Could somebody explain in simple words deal with "grisp"?

I suppose you mean "grist". I don't know what to add to the discussion
other than http://www.boost.org/tools/build/build_system.htm#target_names.

> 7. From bootstrap.jam:
> SEARCH on <jam-module>boost-base.jam = $(BOOST_BUILD_PATH) ;
> What <jam-module> means here?

Nothing really. It's entirely optional grist. Grist is always stripped by
jam before binding a target or an include-file to the filesystem.

-Dave