From: Itay (itay_maman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-09 06:04:53

Hi Mac,

Templates and virtual functions do not mix. A virtual base class creates a
'firewall' which, has the nice effect of allowing polymorphic objects to
pass thru, but, on the other hands, it hides any concrete type information.
This, obviously, reduces the knowledge the compiler has about the passed-in
visitor, and decreases flexibility.

As for the inc_by_10_visitor, I do agree with you that a template member
function offers even more power, I just wanted to give a quick example to
clarify the point. [I was using the well known "clarify-by-code" idiom
:)....].

Anyway, I did look at the example and I saw that you did not try to visit
boost::any objects. We still need a virtual base class which can be passed
thru boost::any::placeholder. And I just don't see how your code offers
that. (Again, Il'l be happy to stand corrected). In other words: If you only
need to visit simple classes (non any-like data types) there's no need for
all this inheritance.

You can also look here:
http://lists.boost.org/MailArchives/boost/msg31604.php

-Itay