From: Brad King (brad.king_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-09 12:09:01

> > A suggestion... instead of generating HTML I'd generate XML. You can then
> > generate HTML from the XML using XSLT. The reasons for doing this:
>
> I second this idea. XML will make the data far more useful. The only question
> is how to structure the XML. Perhaps this is a good start:

This is the exact approach taken by the DART testing tools previously
discussed here. Testing clients generate XML files that are transferred
to the server by ftp or scp. They are transformed into HTML using XSLT
and grouped on a daily basis to produce a nightly "dashboard".

Such dashboards look like this:

http://public.kitware.com/dashboard.php?name=cmake

and this:

http://public.kitware.com/VTK/Testing/Dashboard/20020708-0300-Nightly/Dashboard.html

I have posted the XML files submitted by the "a62.iue.tuwien.ac.at /
OSF1-V5.1-gcc" client on the second example link for that day here:

http://public.kitware.com/Dart/dartEx.tar.gz

If the regression testing tools were to produce DART's XML format, the
existing server-side tools could be used without change to produce these
pages.

-Brad