From: Tom Harris (TomH_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-09 22:06:08

XML is a fine intermediate format, and to use it for this purpose is a
worthy goal. However, it is not necessary to use XSLT to perform
transformations. The SAX2 XML parser (implementations in your chosen
language) calls class methods as it sees certain parsing events. SAX2 also
defines filter classes, that filter these events based on any criteria.
Writing your own filters and composing them (Chain of Responsibility
pattern) allows quite complex manipulation of XML data, with output not
restricted to just text, which I believe XSLT is. Anyway XSLT has a
non-obvious syntax (to me), and is difficult to debug. Use of XSLT will
require yet another tool to be installed and versioned.

I use chains of filters to turn XML build logs into detailed webpages and
brief email messages.

Tom Harris, Software Engineer
Optiscan Imaging, 15-17 Normanby Rd, Notting Hill, Melbourne, Vic 3168,
Australia
email tomh_at_[hidden] ph +61 3 9538 3333 fax +61 3 9562 7742

This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
email in error, please delete it immediately,and inform us of the mistake by
return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note that opinions expressed in
this email are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of
Optiscan Pty Ltd.