From: Tom Harris (TomH_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-10 23:30:32

From: Rob Stewart [mailto:stewart_at_[hidden]]
>The advantage of XSLT is, your difficulty with its syntax notwithstanding,
the
>simplicity with which one can tweak the transformation. I have used it
>extensively in the past to generate complex DHTML from XML data. However,
if
>you use a scripting language such as Perl, Python, etc., with SAX2, then
you may
>get the flexibility of XSLT without the need to learn XSLT's syntax. Note,
>however, that you still have to learn SAX2 if you don't know it.

There is yet another option, only generate canonical XML (there was a Dr.
Dobbs article defining this a year ago or so, which also had a parser) which
only allows a default ASCII encoding, and just allows elements with
attributes and/or content and/or child elements to be declared. A parser in
C++ for this would only be about 50 lines, and then you could use the
standard tools that everyone already has (a C++ compiler) to slice and dice
as required. Of course it is not XSLT, and you would have to cut some code
to modify the transformation, but it would be simple and require no other
tools, which appears to be the sticking point rather than the need to learn
another language.

Tom Harris, Software Engineer
Optiscan Imaging, 15-17 Normanby Rd, Notting Hill, Melbourne, Vic 3168,
Australia
email tomh_at_[hidden] ph +61 3 9538 3333 fax +61 3 9562 7742

This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
email in error, please delete it immediately,and inform us of the mistake by
return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note that opinions expressed in
this email are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of
Optiscan Pty Ltd.