From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-11 14:27:43

The message that "everything built successfully" on the second bjam run
means that everything you asked it to build that was out-of-date rebuilt
correctly.

That's true. The .test file wasn't out-of-date, since the last build failed
and you hadn't given it any reason to rebuild. If a failure to build the
.obj file left the test file out-of-date, the test would be re-run every
time you tried to build whether or not you'd changed anything.

That, and the fact that it tries to build the test file even when the .obj
failed to build is an artifact of the fact that the dependency of the test
is marked NOCARE (see testing.jam). It has to build the .test file the
first time, because Beman wants an artifact of the test left behind.

HTH,
dave