From: Daniel Frey (daniel.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-17 03:03:17

Joerg Walter wrote:

> [...]

Although the focus seems to be the mathematician who uses the library,
you should also keep in mind that programmers work with it. I even think
that a team of mathematician and programmers will work on it together.
Thus the above syntax - although possible - is a problem for all
programmers at it looks like a bug. New programmers usually will start
to try:

int i;
if( 2 < i < 7 ) ...;

And will realize that this wasn't a good idea. It will also break the
idiom of most people to always avoid code like the above. For the
mathematician it will probably lead to further problem when they don't
understand the internals and just look at the use of the library. They
might think that they can also use it for other types and thus will
create new bugs.

I therefore suggest dropping the above syntax and look for other
alternatives.

Regards, Daniel

--
Daniel Frey
aixigo AG - financial training, research and technology