From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-17 12:30:55

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:24:56 -0500, "William E. Kempf"
<williamkempf_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> The "::" seems to say, in effect, "yes, I've considered namespaces, and
>> definitely want the global (vendor supplied) version of this function."
>
>Which is an argument against using :: for Win32, since the vast majority of
>Win32 API calls are macros.

Well, many are. I haven't had the impression they are the vast
majority though.
In any case, if nothing is *against* the "::", I would see it as that
extra level of protection which, being a paranoid kinda guy, I always
appreciate.

Since we are on this, I would have found quite natural to allow ::
before macro names, wouldn't you?

>That said, in my non-Boost development I'm in the habit of using :: for
>Win32 APIs.

Especially when the ordinary unqualified name lookup would find the
wrong function :-)

Genny.