From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-17 15:56:23

From: "Ed Brey" <brey_at_[hidden]>

> Perhaps the best option would be to merge the two. Just as shared_ptr
"auto-detects" a counted base and becomes more efficient, would it not be
reasonable to take that to the next level so that shared_ptr elides is
pointer-to-count member given a counted base? (I'm not sure how to
implement this off hand.) Then, aside from accepting raw pointers, there'd
be no difference between intrusive_ptr and shared_ptr. Correct?

Oh, I assumed we were already doing this.

I think this can work on the released version of all current compilers
we're using. For CodeWarrior versions before version 8.0, I think you can't
elide the pointer-to-count.

-Dave