From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-24 15:18:59

At 02:23 PM 7/24/2002, Jeff Garland wrote:

>> No, build/Jamfile should only build the library (If one exist)
>> example/Jamfile should build examples
>> test/Jamfile should build tests
>
>That makes sense.
>
>> > no Jam expert here, but I presume in that structure the
>> > /build (library Jamfile) will have to be included in the
>> > /test Jamfile to ensure the library is built?
>>
>> no. I just mention ../build/<lib-name> as a source for your test
>
>Ok.
>
>> > That can be done, but then the structure is a bit inconsistent. If
we
>> > do this then for consistency I would want:
>> > libs/gdtl/examples/gregorian
>> > examples/posix_time
>> > libs/gdtl/src/gregorian
>> > src/posix_time
>>
>> building/testing/documenting and *examples*
>
>Exactly.
>
>> > So we decided to be at least self-consistent....
>> >

>> I don't no. I still would prefer t obe able just to go into <lib>/test
>and
>> type bjam and it should test everything.
>
>That's fine, it is easier to convert now rather than later....

Be careful. The current test setup using Boost.Build V1 has a terrible time
being able to communicate results when the target directory is in a
different tree from ../status/bin/... That's why some test results are
just "Missing" now.

That being said, I very much agree that we should refactor the test
Jamfiles, more or less along the lines being discussed.

But we might want to hold off actual implementation until Boost.Build V2.

--Beman