From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-29 11:35:54

It seems to me that if we're seriously going to consider adding "set
semantics" to some set (pun intended) of classes; we could do a lot worse
than look at a language that actually had set as part of its fundamental
design (Pascal).

IIRC Pascal (and I belive, Modula) sets supported the following operators
-(unary) not (flip all truth elements in the set)
+ union (C++ would probably use |)
* intersection (C++ would probably use &)
- difference .... a - b is equivalent to a * (-b)
xor(^) bit for bit ^
in set membership (usage: if y in myset then.....)
<= proper subset
>= proper superset
= equality (in C++ we use ==)
<> inequality (in C++ we use !=)

all sets were "bounded" i.e. had a defined lower and upper bound of
possible members.

IMO, there are good reasons to provide operators instead of just standard
functions especially if an algebraic notation already exists for the
concept. for example, it's a _lot_ easier to write

a = b ^ c;

than

a.clear();
set_symmetric_difference(b.begin(), b.end(), c.begin(), c.end(),
back_inserter(a));
//or whatever one would have to write to get the equivalent of
back_inserter() for a set.