From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-31 12:39:14

"Philippe A. Bouchard" <philippeb_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> [...]
> so I'll go back to my mutable_ptr<int> where sorts are not
> necessary... like with configuration files...

Well, that's fine if you just need to put pointers in a container, and can
deal with the risks associated with mutable_ptr<>. But that doesn't
allow for sharing of the pointer.

> I was great talking to you people. I learned much and I hope it is
> reciprocal for the reinforcement of your arguments.

You didn't seem to spend much time exploring generic wrapper
solutions. Those will preserve your sizeof(ptr<T>) == sizeof(T*)
requirement while not requiring T to be directly derived from a
counter. And it should work polymorphically, if done correctly. This
is something that is not in Boost, and could possibly be very useful.
And there are certainly opportunities for optimization. ;) Furthermore,
a good generic count wrapper could work with any number of different
smart pointers. Consider it.

Dave