From: David Brownstein (David_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-31 16:18:58

I was reading the following message, and it took me down a completely
different path... I'd like to propose a small utility class, if there is
interest.

I noticed that remove() is a function that returns void, AND throws
exceptions to report various error conditions. Generally this kind of usage
of exceptions (using exceptions as an alternative way of reporting an error
when a return value would suffice) really bothers me, because 1) there is
considerable overhead that is avoidable using normal return values, and 2)
if a programmer "forgets" to capture/check a return value, the reported
failure *might* not halt program execution, but failure to use a try/catch
block will!

Anyway, I realize that one of the reasons exceptions are used to report
error conditions is the ability to transmit additional information about the
error. The std::logic_error is a good example of this- the CTOR takes a
const string&, which allows the user to throw an excpetion and provide a
description of the error. The "consumer" can use the logic_error.what()
method to extract the reason.

SO- wouldn't it be nice if we could have an error return that supported
return codes (like true|false, or -1, etc.), and also allow the reporting of
a human readable description (a la std::logic_error)? To this end I have
written a simple class, with a (type templated) return value combined with a
description string. It is attached here, embedded in a simple test program.
Let me know if this is interesting...

Thanks
David Brownstein