From: Emily Winch (emily_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-01 15:07:02

Douglas Gregor wrote:
> On Thursday 01 August 2002 03:23 pm, Emily Winch wrote:
>>Douglas Gregor wrote:
>
> [snip me talking about big heterogenous containers]
>
>>Hmmm. I think the application for these containers in Mike's paper might
>>well require enough elements to make the memory used by the vast
>>recursion depth of a cons-style list a serious consideration. But there
>>still isn't much point debating it without concrete data about real life
>>compiler problems, timing, and memory usage.
>

> Maybe Mike has some data on this for us. They might have tried cons-style
> lists.

I don't think they did, but I could be wrong.

>>If Boost.Tuple was PP'ified, nobody would need to do that.
>
> <snickers as he considers the EDG preprocessor expanding 10,000 template
> parameters>

yeah, yeah :)
That's a problem with the MPL also: if anyone really wants to make a MPL
list (or vector) of 10,000 elements, EDG-based compilers are not going
to be a lot of help.

> I'll try to explain my interpretation. You said:
> "In any case, it's not the case that a requirement for a certain
> implementation of a heterogenous value container implies a requirement
> or a type container with the same implementation."
>
> To paraphrase: the need for a specific implementation of a heterogeneous value
> container does not imply the need for a type container with the same
> implementation. So, say we need the type vector that Burton et al. used for a
> heterogeneous value container; why don't we need to access all of the types
> in the container?

We do need to do that. And we can, without requiring any kind of type
list to do so. I think we may be hooked up by my use of type list/value
list: by type list I meant a list that _doesn't_ carry values. I suppose
that's misleading, since the value list is really intrinsically a type
list also.

So: Mike B. doesn't need a vector-based typelist (without values) in
order to access types in his vector-based value list. Thus, just because
someone needs a vector-based value list, doesn't imply the MPL should
contain a vector-based non-value typelist.

I think I need a better set of terminology :)

> Good answer!

Why thankyou!

Emily