From: Matthew Hurd (matt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-02 05:32:01

Octet for 8 bits? Nibblies for hexadecimal... Not really required me
thinks.

If you can do binary and ternary digits then you've got odd and even numbers
of bits covered at the detail level... The rest can be implemented via
"digit" sets, aka bitsets for binary, by mapping the number of bits required
for the maximal range required for your bits and pieces of thingos :-)

state<N> seems a good idea perhaps with an enum or typelist mapping of names
of states. Implementation could use a sequence of bits for a state. Then
again this naming would be easy to confuse with status bits in a bitset
where you might expect to take the union or intersection of statuses,
(statii?).

maybe "digit_radix<3>" or digit<3> or simple_state<3, names( yep, nope,
gedouddahere) > are better thoughts

state_group< stupid_states, curly_states, mo_states> or some such where the
number of bits is optimal to contain all the possible states, that is the
product of all states.

That said a tri-state bool (oxymoron?) / digit / logic would be handy
without all the other fluff.

$0.00002

matt.

PS: unary digits will be a challenge as you'll keep ending up with an
infinite number