From: Carl Daniel (cpdaniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-02 16:06:42

"David Brownstein" <David_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> With MSVC6, it looks like the compiler is generating the same mangled name
> for each instantiation of call_it(), as the linker complains:
> fatal error LNK1179: invalid or corrupt file: duplicate comdat
> "?call_it@@YAXP6AXH_at_Z@Z"
>
> changing the return value of f2() fixes this problem... ;-) (but not
> generally, I have no idea?)

VC6 is one of the few implementations that occasionally fails to build - and
then only if the template was implicitly instantiated with two or more
identical sets of types that differ only in default parameter values. VC7,
unfortunately, lost this feature, and will compile & link with no error (as
did all versions of GCC I've tried this on).

-cd