From: William E. Kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-05 19:07:12

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Brownstein" <David_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: Re:
Re:Re:PlatformNeutrality-withoutreinterpret_cast<>andifdef

> Anyway, I agree with you that generally #ifdef's make code difficult to
read
> and should be avoided when possible. If you had been following the
community
> discussion, you would know that many of the existing #ifdef's are used to
> "assist... deficient compiler(s)". The development list is not only a good
> tool for discussion, it is also a historical body of commentary, AND an
> excellent place to learn about advanced C++ practice. I hope that you will
> use it carefully and considerately, and participate in this shared
venture.

In Eric's defense, the use of #ifdef's in Boost.Threads is generally not
done to "assist... deficient compiler(s)" but to provide platform specific
implementations. His argument is that there are other ways to do the same
thing with more "clarity", but the problem is that this view is only an
opinion, and one that was strongly argued against by the majority of the
Boost membership (at least in regards to this specific library). I have
sympathy for his opinion, if not with his presentation and even if I find
the opinion of the majority to be more compelling.

Bill Kempf