From: Yitzhak Sapir (yitzhaks_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-06 10:57:50

One of the things I like about the Boost.Threads model which does not have a virtual run() function is that it makes you think about bugs like what I think is a bug in the above code, where run(), a virtual function could continue running and accessing the descendant of oo_thread after the destructor of the oo_thread's descendant has been called, but before pt has been destructed.

I do use "thread wrapper classes", but with a scoped_ptr, and I do it on a class by class basis, where operator() (my equivalent of run) is never virtual if it's in the same class as the owner of the scoped_ptr.