From: Fernando Cacciola (fcacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-06 13:30:55

----- Original Message -----
From: "George A. Heintzelman" <georgeh_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: Re: Threads & Exceptions

> > I don't think so. There's no requirement for return values to be
default
> > constructable, but that's the only manner in which I can see to
implement
> > this. [ Return values from user functions in thread joins ]
>
> I think you can do it with a placement new, using only copy
> constructors:

This is the exact mechanism used by the class optional<>, which is in the
Files Section, under 'class optional', and which I am currently brushing up.
optional<> semantics are a bit different, but there is nevertheless some
similarities and I'd like to consider this context as well.

I've been only scanning through this discussion so didn't got all the
details of your example: Could you post a more elaborate example, (with some
more context)?
I want to see the similarities with optional<>.

Thanks,

Fernando Cacciola
Sierra s.r.l.
fcacciola_at_[hidden]