From: Eric Woodruff (Eric.Woodruff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-06 13:57:18

Half of your arguments are subjective.

The only duplication is the constructor which has one version for each
setting. I think you are failing to recognize that the code is already
duplicated but just _feels_ like one cohesive implementation that magically
works on all platforms. It would be far superior and far easier to maintain
as separated implementations that can each do as they please, because each
platform has their own quirks.

There is a very compelling reason to not include any pthreads or any other
headers. If anyone would like to write even the most minimalist
platform-neutral application using boost and multithreading, they should be
able to get a precompiled boost library and link it in with their project
without any other header dependencies. One should not require pthreads or
win32sdk installed on their system if they have a statically build STLport
and boost. The idea is to address the impotency of the standard library
itself, by providing something that is autonomous and complete.

Every time an abstraction layer is made, it helps remove more and more
dependencies from a project, only adding more simplicity and
maintainability.

I think the majority of users would not want to enable
#BOOST_POLLUTE_HEADER_AND_NAME_SPACE