From: Fernando Cacciola (fcacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-06 16:53:06

----- Original Message -----
From: "William E. Kempf" <williamkempf_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 6:21 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: Re: Threads & Exceptions

> [snipped]
>
> > What do you think?
>
> If the implementation is fully portable and addresses the alignment issues
> and does what I think it does from your description, I think it's problem
> solved and I'm left with no objections to adding return value semantics.

Great.

The crux of the implementation is the traits 'type_with_alignment<>' which
is now on 1.28.0 inside 'alignment_traits.hpp'.

optional<> essentially takes advantage of it and defines the concept of a
potentially uninitialized value with pointer-like semantics.

I recently asked for a formal addition of aligned_storage.hpp which is used
by optional<>.

In the meantime, I'll finish it up, put a new version of it in the Files
Section, and submit it for Formal Review.

Fernando Cacciola
Sierra s.r.l.
fcacciola_at_[hidden]
www.gosierra.com