From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-08 17:04:39

At 04:49 PM 8/8/2002, Paul Mensonides wrote:

>> Following up on an earlier discussion, I wrote a little script to check
>> line endings in Boost files. See below for the files found to have at
>> least one '\r' line ending.
>>
>> In checking a few of these to make sure the script was correct, I
noticed
>> line endings in the form "\r\r\n". In hex, 0D 0D 0A.
>>
>> What's happening here? This isn't a form I'm familiar with.
>
>This happens when you upload a file that has Windows line endings from a
>Unix CVS. I.e. it doesn't modify the line endings because it assumes
>they are already correct.

I don't understand; it would help if you could rephrase using CVS
terminology - my WinCVS client has "commit" or "update" commands, but no
"upload" that I'm aware of.

By "upload a file that has Windows line endings from a Unix CVS", do you
mean "commit a file that has Windows line endings to a CVS running on a
UNIX system"?

Or maybe "update a file that has Windows line endings from a CVS running on
a UNIX system"?

Both of those operations happen all the time, yet don't modify line
endings.

Confused-in-Virginia,

--Beman