From: Douglas Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-10 07:31:16

On Saturday 10 August 2002 01:45 am, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> It's been months. I've been glad to see that people realized that using the
> "STL is cool and MPL is like STL, therefore MPL is cool" argument has some
> subtle circularity. The most fervent MPL sustainers couldn't come with a
> compelling example that justifies MPL's design. MPL's *author* couldn't
> come with a compelling example that justifies MPL's design. So far opionios
> seem to be (1) MPL is the library of 2050 arrived on today's laptops, and
> it will be a matter of time until its vision will be fully understood and
> appreciated (2) it sounds like a really cool intellectual achievement (3)
> "I don't know much so I won't say anything" and (4) a vocal minority, of
> which I am part, who questions some of MPL's design decisions.
>

> Andrei

At one point you distilled your question down to "why do we need more than one
type of sequence?". I'm wondering if you considered Burton et al's use of
typevectors (heterogeneous value vectors, if you will) to be a useful 'other'
sequence type? (I described their use of the typevectors in a different
thread).

        Doug